The design of a web page, whether it is a template or a bespoke design, is essential to attract users’ attention and convince them to buy. Here are 6 valuable tips for a design that inspires confidence and strengthens conversions.
The aesthetic is essential to prevent the abandonment of your website; no less important are the practical and functional questions that make your web design dynamic and allow an optimal user experience …
The studies show that in less than 90 seconds formulate an opinion about a product and that 90% of the purchase decision is based on the colors.
The chromatic intersections are extremely important to choose an optimal graphics web pages. It should be remembered that colors generate different types of emotions, which is why chromatology is a relevant factor for effective design.
To decide the colors of your design, you must reflect on these basic principles …
- Adaptation to the sector of activity and the target
- Contrast of call to action compared to the rest of the design
- Use of up to two or three different colors to avoid overloading the whole
Warm tones, like the range of reds, earthy or orange, are ideal for drawing attention to them. These vivid tones create enthusiasm and strong sensations. This type of colors are often used for e-commerce sites dedicated to sports, fashion and food.
On the other hand, cold colors, i.e. the range of blues, greens and derivatives, usually generate a restful and relaxing feeling. For this type, this type of color range is used on web pages that offer health services, technology, or even for the environment.
Blue is the color most appreciated by Europeans. It is used on social networks, banks or doctors. This color brings reliability. Green, on the other hand, is associated with nature.
Mixing colors becomes an alternative to take into account for the design of online stores. However, it is important to use up to three different shades and combine them harmoniously to avoid overloading the page. The color theory will provide various tracks on the right combinations of color ranges.
Remember that a small percentage of the population suffers from color blindness, concretely 8% of men and 0.5% of women. These people have difficulty in differentiating certain colors and contrasts. For this reason, and to optimize the readability of our website, we recommend making graphics following these tips …
- Avoid red on green and vice versa, (it can be illegible, even for non-color-blind people!)
There are lots of sources on the internet to find combinations and color combinations for your website.
2) Typography in online texts
The use of a correct typography is another extremely important element for the graphics of any e-commerce site. The typical letters that are used in conventional books are designed for comfortable reading on paper. Obviously, it is not the same for reading on screen.
There are two large font families: serif (with thanks) and sans-serif (without thanks), each with its sub-families.
- The Serif font present at the ends of each character of the orthogonal elongations, said thank you. They are used above all for printed texts (newspapers, books, magazines), because they are easy to read in long texts.
- Sans Serif fonts have linear characters, without lengthening at the ends. Visually they are more distinct and clear. The font type Arial, commonly used in the preparation of texts on screen, belong to this family.
Furthermore, the thickness of the same font can vary and combine with others to highlight titles, slogans, etc.
In general, you can use the two types of characters for your website as long as the result is readable and consistent with the visual identity of your brand.
We recommend that you follow these suggestions …
- Address the most personalized fonts for the titles and avoid them in long texts
- Avoid using two different fonts
- Choose an easy to read typography that fits the brand identity
- Focus on appropriate and distinct colors
3) Brand logo
The brand logo must represent a specific brand and transmit the brand values on all communication media. Practicality is essential: the same logo will be shown both on the design of the online store and on business cards, flyers, printing, etc. This is why it is important to focus on a simple image, which creates positive feelings for the user.
Some advice …
- The logo must be original and unique
- It must be easily recognizable
- It must be simple to reproduce on various communication media
The design of a web page must favor a simple and pleasant navigation. The user will appreciate that the structure and organization of the web is well optimized and that navigation is easy. This will encourage users to stay on your website, with a reduction in the feared bounce rate.
Tips to optimize usability …
- Focus on a hierarchical and well-organized menu
- Avoid too much content in a small space
- Organize the content consistently by order of importance and leaving the necessary space between the various text zones
- Work on the ergonomics of the purchasing process
- Integrate the shopping cart at the top right of the page
5) Mobile friendly design
The practice of making purchases online is now extremely widespread: 83.6% of internet users have bought online at least once in their lifetime and more than half – 51.6% – do so routinely. In addition, Google requires that the current web pages be perfectly optimized to access them. This is essential to avoid a sanction from the Internet giant and maintain a quality SEO positioning and follow the technology trends in business.
Optimize the mobile design of your website …
- Use a web design compatible with smartphones and tablets
- Choose a specific template to facilitate the purchasing process
- Customize your home page and graphic elements
6) Quality images and videos
Images and videos must be of high quality to attract the customer and to easily integrate your web design. This is why it is important to be in tune with the target audience. Would you buy a product with bad quality or unattractive images? Remember that the graphic content allows us to feed the users’ desire
- The photographs must be of the highest quality
- They must show the product as it is
- Product images on a white background are precise and aesthetic
- Show in a pleasant and coherent context
Even if the rules are made – in part – to be broken, if you don’t have any notions of design, it is preferable to be pragmatic, based on recommendations that work and observe the results.