The advertising traditional, one defined offline, takes place in the “physical” world while online advertising is moving into the Internet; simplifying to the maximum we can take this distinction as good, even if in some circumstances the nuances between online and offline advertising are more subtle. But my goal is to make your life easier, indeed easy reading, so no technicalities and big words that can confuse and put you in difficulty, beyond your knowledge in this sector, whatever they may be.
The topic of the post is the definition of the target audience of the site, product and advertising on the Internet. In order to start an advertising campaign for a product or service, you need to take on the definition of the target audience, that is, the beginning of the demand itself.
It is demand that generates supply.
Therefore, you need to analyze who these people are, who are looking for our product or service. It is from this it is worth starting an advertising campaign. Now we will discuss where you can get the data.
Stand in the client’s place
You can stand in the client’s place and ask yourself the question: “I want to buy some goods (for example, TV). Who I am and why I need it.” Of course, TV is a fairly popular product, which contains very extensive types of target audience. CA for a product such as a TV will be very large.
Therefore, now the market has a huge number of models of TVs with different diagonals and functionality. It is such an extensive market that generates a large number of models, because manufacturers are trying to give each type of TV to each segment.
At the same time certain types of advertising campaigns are aimed at different segments of the target audience. That is, the first method is to become a customer and ask yourself simple questions. For example, here I wanted to buy some goods.
The first question that comes to my mind: “Why do I need this and why should I buy it?” Accordingly, we need to think about who those people are who want to buy this product and order such a service. Later we will analyze those questions that will help you make a portrait of the target audience.
Sales statistics for the target audience
The second way, which is aimed at determining the target audience, is sales statistics. When you create any advertising campaigns, the first thing you need to do is ask for sales statistics.
Even can be together with your advertiser you can do analytics (sales statistics, where information about those people who make purchases should be displayed). Based on this statistics, you can select several segments of the CA.
The statistics should be available information on the sales graph (where people buy). For example, they buy more from Moscow or from other regions.
There should also be statistics on sex and age. This statistic is also important. In fact, this includes geographical and sex-age statistics (sex and age).
This is very important in order to further develop segments of the target audience. That is, you take the sales statistics, see who made the most purchases and further downward.
As a result, we make segments of CA based on sales statistics. It is for these segments of the audience then it will be necessary to develop advertising campaigns.
Web Analytics Data
The third way that will help to describe the target audience is web analytics data. In web analytics systems (for example, in the Google Analytics) there is a special report “sex-age structure”. Here we do a few simple steps.
First, we need to install on our site web analytics counters. Secondly, you can simply set up goals on the site. For example, to purchase goods, subscribe, send an order form or feedback.
And thirdly, after some time of gathering information, you need to look at a special report called “sex-age structure”. I will tell you more about this method in another material.
In principle, we have analyzed three simple methods that will help you to determine the target audience for further successful advertising. Be sure to collect all the statistics for your CA so that you can then properly manage the advertising campaign.
You should always know your target audience and who is your client. I think in the future you will not have questions in how to determine the target audience.
Online advertising is gaining very large turnover in the network. So today we will talk about the basic concepts and terms of advertising on the Online. In order to become more familiar with such a tool, you first need to familiarize yourself with the theoretical part.
All these concepts you need to remember, that in the future when creating an advertising campaign online you do not have any unnecessary problems and questions …
Basic concepts of online advertising
Contextual advertising: It is a community of people on whom an advertising message is directed. In such a message, contextual advertising, an advertising banner, a post of some social network, and teaser advertising can be used. All this is generally called an advertising message.
And the target audience are those people to whom we try to convey our advertising. Also these are people who are potentially interested in our some kind of service or goods. It is with the definition of the target audience that any advertising campaign begins.
Display advertising: It is the display of advertising to any user. For example, a user visits the site and sees our advertising banner there, and this will be considered one display. In this case, two types of displays are usually divided: unique and non-unique.
Non-unique impressions are impressions that are considered regardless of the uniqueness of the user. That is, if a person came to the site several days during the day and saw our advertising banner, then it will be three non-unique shows. One user saw three times.
If we considered unique impressions, then the user would go once to the site and see an advertising banner – it would be considered for the show. All other user visits and viewing of the user of this banner would not be counted, since the user already visited the site and accordingly these displays were non-unique.
Keep Reading: 8 Tips For Advertising Online
Basic terms of online advertising
Click: Came from the sound by clicking the mouse button. In terms of the online means the user’s transition to the site. That is, when a person clicks on an advertising banner, on a contextual advertisement or on a link, he goes to the site.
That is, a click is actually the transition to your site of a user from the advertising message after clicking on the banner, clicking on the contextual announcement or on the link. The number of clicks affects the click ability of the ad.
URL (website page address): When you are asked for a URL, you need to give the address of a page. As for online advertising, you are asked to give, for example, the address of the main page (this is the domain) or the address of the specific page of the site that you want to advertise to calculate the media plan. So if you are asked for a URL, then do not be scared at once. This will be the address of your site.
Landing Page (LP): It is the landing page or landing page. This is also a well-known term that is used in advertising. What is it? Landing page – this is any page of your site, which will be transferred to users.
Imagine that you are pointing such page of your site in some kind of advertising message. For example, link this page to a click on the banner. The user went to some site, saw your banner, clicked on it and went to a specific page of your site.
In fact, after clicking on the banner, the user has landed on this page. Therefore from here such name. This is the main page on which the user will come to you on the site after clicking on the advertisement or after reporting some advertising message to him.
An account is a personal account. It already includes the personal cabinet of Google AdWords.
Ban: This is the account lock. If you, for any reason, violate the rules of the advertising platform or system, you may be assigned an account lockout. In general, the ban!
Bid: It is the rate at the auction or the price of the click that you put on the auction in the Google AdWords system. This we will talk in detail in another post.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization): Promotion in the search engines. This is the promotion of your site or a set of measures that are aimed at improving the position of the site in search results.
Search output is a display in search results. For example, in the search engine Google. When a user hits a request (for example, buying a drill), the search results are displayed to him. It is the promotion to the first line in the search results and is called advancement in search engines.
Targeting: Separation or segmentation CA. This is targeting our advertising message to some target audience. Targeting can be distributed by gender, age or geography. We take some big target audience and divide it into different segments.
For example, we can set up so that our advertising banner or contextual advertising is shown only to men or only to women. You can only an adult or only a minor and so on.
So, these were the basic concepts on the subject of online advertising. Now you already know what the target audience is, shows, landing page and much more.
This article will provide a description of online advertising or Internet advertising, information on the means of online advertising, its purpose, features, specifications and methods of application.
Internet is a global system of computer networks combined, which serves as a physical basis for the World Wide Web or WWW and other data transmission systems. Nowadays the word “Internet” often meant not a physical network, and the World Wide Web, which forms the global information and communication space.
Internet advertising, or advertising on the Internet includes a variety of graphic and text advertising material placed on the Internet. Internet advertising market has begun to take shape in the mid-1990s, however, before the start of the 2000s, the Internet was not considered by advertisers as a priority advertising platform, although some of them already carried out online support for advertising their products and services. However, the rapid development of the World Wide Web, and some of the features of Internet advertising have meant that the policy of advertisers in the use of the Internet has changed.
Since the mid-2000s, the Internet is one of the main channels of information impact on consumers. This is due primarily to the following factors …
- A constant and steady increase in the number of Internet users and the time of their presence in the network;
- Development of wireless communication technology, mobile devices and mobile Internet;
- Development of the Internet economy
- The prevalence of e-commerce;
Development of the technical management of Internet advertising platforms and systems analysts, allowing quickly and precisely measure the impact of online advertising.
Currently, the Internet is actively developing as an advertising channel. In this case, the basic principles and technologies of Internet advertising are very different from those in traditional media such as television advertising, radio advertising, press advertising. Therefore, unlike television or radio, that are relatively passive media, the Internet requires active participation: in the Internet environment, nothing happens until then, until the user performs an action. The exchange of information in real time and feedback make the Internet an effective tool of advertising in terms of the quality of the contact with the consumer.
To date, we developed three most common types of use of the Internet as an advertising channel …
- Placement of advertising information on websites
- Attracting visitors to the website publisher
- Search consumer goods and services among the internet audience
The choice of the type of online advertising, the specific advertising media and formats depend on the advertising goals, the technical capabilities advertiser, selected ad platforms and a number of other parameters. The effectiveness of advertising on the Internet is a result of many factors, among which, above all, the quality characteristics of the target audience of advertising and the extent of its coverage, the characteristics of advertising media, as well as design, context, placement, visual and content features advertisements.
Features Of The Internet As A Channel Of Distribution Of Advertising
Internet is one of the most important global markets, media advertising and attracted more and more attention of advertisers. This is due to primarily with a considerable variety of online resources is extremely high capabilities of their target segmentation, increase in the number of services offered and a huge audience. Knowing and the optimal use of the opportunities offered by advertisers diverse online marketplace allows advertising campaign very different focus, cost and scale, while achieving effective results.
Planning and implementation of advertising campaigns on the Internet requires the advertiser knowledge of its individual features. Among the most important are the following …
1) Interactivity: The Internet is an interactive medium, and therefore provides a significant involvement of the consumer. Every Internet user has the opportunity to not only passively receive information, as in the case of traditional media, but also actively interact with it, based on their interests and preferences, selecting the most relevant to the resources and content, engaging in communication with others and so on.
These same properties have interactivity and Internet advertising, that is, the user can directly interact with it. After seeing an advertisement, the user can go directly to more information about the advertised offer. For this, user have to click the mouse on an advertising medium, followed by the transition to a website publisher, where the user can get this or that information about the object of advertising or perform the desired advertiser action. It is this feature distinguishes the online advertising from advertising in traditional media.
2) Lecture hall: In economically developed countries, the vast majority of the population has regular access to the Internet, and the total number of Internet users is comparable with the number of viewers, with separate groups of consumers spend on the Internet much more time than watching TV. The rapidly growing Internet audience is an area of intense interest for many advertisers, as it is active, educated and, as a rule, the solvency of the company.
At the same time, some advertisers may face the problem of limited audience only Internet users. This is because the user must not only have access to the web, but a minimum set of knowledge required for working with computers in general and the Internet in particular. The spread of this type of media can be substantially limited in regions with poor infrastructure, as well as among certain social groups.
3) Targeting: Targeting mechanism allows the highlight of all available Internet audience only the part that meets the specified criteria, and show ads to user. To distinguish between direct and indirect targeting. Direct targeting aimed at the choice of the target audience, directly were interested in offering goods or services. Indirect targeting is aimed at an audience that is a target for interconnected with the proposed type of goods or services. Internet allows for more accurate than any other type of advertising media, the advertising information to focus on the target groups on various parameters (up to a specific recipient).
Internet advertising can be focused on target groups on the following criteria …
- On the territorial and geographical coverage (you can restrict your ads from showing certain geographic regions selected by the advertiser);
- Time display (allows to time ad serving day and days of the week chosen by the advertiser)
- Interests and preferences of users (you can restrict your ads from showing in accordance with the interests of the visitor advertising site);
- Socio-demographic characteristics (to limit advertising by age show, sex, income, positions, and so on);
- Technical specifications (to limit ad serving on various technical parameters);
- The number of ad impressions (allows you to adjust the amount of advertising media shows one user).
In addition to these criteria for focusing may be employed and others, but the collection of relevant information about Internet users is associated with the need additional studies.
4) Media measurement: The Internet is a much more measurable form of media than traditional channels, and provides opportunities to study the behavior of target consumers, including accurate means of analyzing the effectiveness of advertising. When analyzing the efficiency of traditional forms of advertising used by consumer surveys, with the aim to establish what type of advertising has attracted consumers. Based on the survey results, conclusions about the effectiveness of various promotions.
In addition, indirectly on the effectiveness of the advertising company is judged by the increase in revenue, the number of visitors interested in the advertised product or service, and some other features. To study the reaction of consumers to these or other promotional activities on the Internet and analyzing the effectiveness of Internet advertising, there are far more comfortable and precise tools that keep records of the number of times an advertising medium of Internet users. The number of clicks on it, the subsequent interest or failure, users of transportation routes and a plurality of other parameters.
All this information is collected, processed by special software and used for targeted advertising impact on Internet users. By analyzing the information received on the reactions and actions of users, an advertiser has the ability in real time to assess the effectiveness of the campaign as a whole and each of its components individually.
At the same time it can make operational changes to the current campaign (to replace the ineffective advertising media, adjust the content of advertising, to increase or decrease the intensity of advertising on specific sites, to change the focus and other settings). A key differentiator of online advertising from any other is the ability to keep track of each advertising exposure, so the Internet to the advertiser – the most optimal means in terms of the quality of the contact with the consumer.
The Main Forms Of Internet Advertising
The advertisement that the advertiser intends to convey to the target audience on the Internet, can be represented in different ways. In online advertising, there are a variety of advertising media and formats. The number of these formats is constantly growing with the growth of the Internet audience and as this audience is becoming more aware and selective. Internet is continually evolving as an advertising channel, as Internet advertising service providers are in a mode of continuous improvement of its promotional offers.
To date, the most widely used the following types of online advertising …
1) Media advertising: Placement of text and image advertisements on websites, which are advertising platforms. Typically, media advertising is in the form of banner advertising. Banner is a graphical representation of the hyperlink, refers to the targeted advertising source. Banner may contain both static image and text without images and animated elements, video and interactive objects. With display of the advertisement can be static or dynamic.
2) Text advertising: Placing text advertisements on websites that are advertising platforms. This type of online advertising is a text ad with a hyperlink that refers to the source of targeted advertising that is integrated into the overall content of the website pages and looks like a part of it. Showing text ads can be static or dynamic.
3) Contextual advertising: Placement of text and image advertisements on web sites that represent contextual advertising platforms. Contextual placement of online advertising based on the content of advertising material according to the context (content) web page on which the ad unit. The bearer of such advertising can be text, image, or a combination ad. Compliance of promotional materials and their contextual sites determined using the advertising service. A variety of content is search advertising, used in the search engines. Its distinguishing feature is that the demonstrated choice of advertisements is determined by taking into account the user’s search query. As a rule, search engine advertising is placed next to search results and has the form of text ads. It is believed that this type of online advertising is one of the most effective, since the content of advertisements most closely matches the user’s current interests.
4) Teaser advertising: Placement of text and graphics advertising materials on the websites, which are advertising platforms. This type of online advertising combines the features of media, text and contextual advertising and is a short blurb with intriguing text and eye-catching image that contains a certain amount of information about a product or service, and the hyperlink is sent to the targeted advertising source. It is believed that the teaser advertising has more opportunities to attract the audience, as it stimulates the natural curiosity of man.
5) Promo site: Advertising materials in the form of a website, which is a presentation of the offer advertised. Despite the fact that the website itself is not an advertising format, enable consumers to obtain detailed information about a brand, product or service may be regarded as an independent form of advertising communication. The main objective of the promo site presentation of the goods, services, brand online. Most often, a promotional site is used as an additional marketing tool in the integrated advertising campaign. Usually one promotional website dedicated to a single product and the most focused on the interaction with target users. Audience at the promotional website is usually carried out by means of other types of online advertising.
6) Spam: The mass mailing of unsolicited messages advertising by e-mail. By itself, the principle of distribution of advertising messages via e-mail at first seemed quite acceptable form of direct marketing, but quickly became uncontrollable, and after that, and a negative reputation. At present, the laws of many countries provide certain types of liability for such activities. However, it is obvious that spam brings some economic benefit of its customers, since its intensity is not only not declining, but growing. This means that some of the users, in spite of the dislike for spam, still enjoys advertised through spam in goods or services.
In the end, here we have describe all the possible information about Internet advertising. We are going to describe about other advertising media as well. Keep support us by your valuable comments.