You spend the day surfing the internet. With the arrival of mobile technology and the constant growth of new smart devices, it is rare that someone does not connect in 24 hours to the network.
We go from one place to another, moving in a hierarchical way. This is not always the case, because we can really navigate in the way that is most attractive to us. The road may be marked, but you will be the one to decide if you are going by one detour or another.
Here we come to talk about an error that we all make when we try to talk about our web space. You have to differentiate between the terms website and web page. They may seem synonymous. To be clear that they are not.
Normally when we enter the internet, we usually say: “enter my web page” or “browse this web page”. The correct way would be to say website, but very few people use that word when they talk about the network.
In addition, in this article I will use cyonwo.com for as example to take you out of doubt, after reading the article. Of course, later you will have to be the one to correct the form or context in which you use these terms.
What is website?
A website or web site is one in which we find a collection of web pages related to and common to an internet domain. Each time we use a specific World Wide Web or ‘www’ as www.cyonwo.com, we will be entering a web space.
Within the website, a lot of information will appear. Everything will be hierarchized with a concrete structure. At present, that order can change according to the design of each site.
Usually, you will find a home. From there, you will navigate through the different URLs, to move from one page to another. All those linked web pages make up the place.
The websites are written in HTML code and accessed through a browser. Nowadays, from any intelligent device, you can enter a website. In addition, you should know that all web spaces must be hosted on a server.
Types of websites
We can find many different classifications while surfing the Internet. We may not name everyone, but these are some of the most prominent types of websites …
- Institutional or corporate: They are made by a company or entity in order to know you through the network. In the case of companies, it serves to promote your business. Examples: The previously mentioned Cyonwo could serve. Also the websites of the different City Councils, Provincial Councils …
- E-commerce: These are virtual places that have been created to buy and sell online. Currently, Amazon is one of the best known.
- Blogs: Spaces where content is offered and readings are recorded. A user can write interesting posts to share with the rest. They can include forums, for the exchange of opinions.
- Directories: Information is entered and structured by categories or subcategories. We can find company directories, blogs, types of websites …
- Virtual communities: These are places where people with the same concerns and interests can get in touch through chats or forums. For example, social networks.
- Informational and educational: They seek to give information or help in the education of people, as their own name indicates. It is not done looking for an economic purpose. Most media offer their news on the Internet without the need to be registered and pay for them. That could be one of the examples of informative site.
In addition to …
- Downloads: To upload and download from the internet: music, videos, movies, images, programs …. For example, Softonic.
- Game site: Virtual places where you can play different entertainment games.
- Auctions: Bid and auction items online. The clearest example is Ebay.
- Web 1.0: A static place where you can only go through the pages, without interacting with them.
- Web 2.0: An interactive site where the visitor can do more than go through the page. Contribute content, extract information, etc.
- Web 3.0: It’s about smart web spaces. It recognizes the user and shows a dynamic according to their tastes, preferences, mood … Their development is still being perfected.
- Collaborative or Wiki: Users are responsible for keeping the site alive. Wikipedia serves as an example.
What is web page?
For its part, define web page as an electronic document that is capable of containing: text, images, sound, video, links, programs … Each of the URLs that we find on a website, are Internet pages.
When we visit cyonwo.com, we arrive at the home of the website. From there, we get to know in depth the startup of development of apps and webs to measure. We will follow a navigation route through the different pages that it offers us.
You can see their success stories. You will have the option to request a budget to publish your future project. In case of being a developer, it will give you the option of certifying it and choosing to carry out work that may arise. You can even visit the blog to read the post with which are updating. All those pages, form Cyonwo and therefore, are integrated into web space.
Types of web page
According to its construction …
- Static: These are pages that mainly show you a permanent information. They are created through the HTML language and through it, the images, videos, texts and all the contents of the page itself are shown. The files that make up the page are contained in a hosting and are usually not updated continuously.
- Dynamics: In these pages, unlike static ones, the content tends to vary continuously. They are created in an interpreted language, the clearest example is PHP. CMS as WordPress are the clearest example of interpreted language. Allows the creation of applications within the web itself. Its creation is more complex, so its cost will be higher.
According to your technology …
- In HTML: Static pages are built in the HTML language. It is easy to learn to build them using software and even in a simple text editor. But they are somewhat poor, and for example they are not recommended for sales or marketing.
- In Flash: Pages built using Adobe software called Flash. It allows to realize animations. They are pages loaded with effects, movements, sounds, and in general very showy. For viewing, you have to have the necessary plug-ins. They are heavy websites, so the download time could be high.
- In the language of the server: They are the dynamic pages. They are created in PHP and other languages such as ASP or Ruby. They use a database to store the contents of the page. You must have professional knowledge to be able to develop these types of language. In addition, these pages are ideal for when you interact with other users or customers. Even so that your business is better known through marketing.
From now on, you have to be clear that it is not the same to talk about websites or web page. The mistakes we made before reading the post can be avoided. The difference is simple and just by changing the chip, we will communicate properly.