You have now created and published your new website. Great! Now, the time has come for the public to visit it. Normally, most of the traffic to a web page comes from search engines such as Google, Yahoo, or Bing. Search engine optimization (or SEO) consists of making adjustments to your web page to increase the chances that it will appear among the first search results when the topics are relevant.
It may sound strange at first, but the good news is that even those who are new to the world of web pages can take care of SEO. In this article, we introduce you to the basics of SEO and how to get started with your own site.
Why is search engine optimization important?
SEO is important because appearing among the first search results will bring you more visitors. It is also important because a good search engine ranking allows you to get the right visitors: people who are looking for what you offer.
Most people click on the first search result that the search engine shows them. So if you can get your page to come out first, great! You can even appear in a featured snippet or Google answer box.
An interesting aspect to consider? Search engines don’t necessarily rank the biggest, prettiest, and most expensive web pages at the top, but they choose the ones that have the best answers to the question a visitor is asking.
How Do Search Engines Like Google Work?
A search engine is a list or index of web pages that are constantly updated.
Search engines use web crawlers (also known as “spiders”) that surf the web looking for new pages. The best way to understand this is perhaps to imagine a spider crawling through the invisible parts of web code 24/7. The crawlers start with popular pages and follow the links that redirect them to other pages. In this way, they create an infinite network.
When crawlers find a new web page, they add it to their list of pages to index, and then, based on the type of information it presents, determine what it is. For that, they focus, among other things, on texts, images, titles, and links.
What Parts Of SEO Can I Take?
Once you understand how search engines work, you can customize your website and content to reach as many Google users as possible.
Although not complete, this list is a great starting point. And when you consider that many people don’t even open the SEO settings of their website, starting with this can give you a huge advantage.
Some features that search engines like:
- Original, valuable, engaging content written for people, not search engines.
- Keywords and phrases are used naturally. If you use keywords that users normally type in their Google searches, you are more likely to be found. There are a lot of myths about keywords, so be sure to check out our guide to keywords for beginners.
- Structured content. Include the Main Heading (H1 tag) at the start of each subpage, with medium and small subheadings below to break the content into understandable sections.
- Fill in a site title and subpage titles in the SEO settings. This indicates how your page will appear in search results.
- Backlinks from reputable websites. A backlink is a link that allows you to get from another web page to yours. If someone includes a link to your page on their page, they are somehow endorsing your website and saying that they like your content and want their visitors to see it. This Google loves.
- Internal and external links. Links to other subpages of your web page (internal) or to other web pages (external) help web crawlers understand how your content fits together. No web page or subpage should be isolated.
- Alternative texts (alt-text) that describe what is seen in your images.
- Mobile-optimized web pages that have good mobile designs.
- Clear navigation menus that are easy to read and understand.
- Regularly updated content. This signals to search engines that the information on your website is accurate and up-to-date.
What Are The SEO Tools That Jimdo Offers?
By the way, it’s built, Jimdo pages are already search engine optimized from scratch, but in addition, we’ve included many tools that allow you to customize your website and rank it as high as possible in search engines. To learn more about how to use SEO tools, check out our Help Centers for Jimdo Creator and Jimdo Dolphin.
SEO Checklist: Hands On Deck
Bravo! You’ve made it this far and understand the basics of what you’re trying to do. Now it’s time to check out the list, follow the links to each resource, and start working on it.
You don’t need to make all of these changes at once. Work on them over time and you will start to see your search results improve and your traffic increase.
How Long Does SEO Take To Take Effect?
SEO does not give instant results. On the contrary, it is a long-term path that will lead you to get free traffic on your website.
You will need to review the results regularly and update your website accordingly. Over time, you will achieve a solid search engine position that will be difficult to remove.
Think of yourself as building “something very big for society.” That is not achieved in the afternoon of any Tuesday. It takes effort and dedication, but it’s worth it.
You may like to read How to start mobile accessories wholesale business?