Types of advertising – A division of advertising on some of its varieties by a classification bases, depending on the purpose and objectives of advertising, advertising tools, methods of advertising exposure, the functional purpose of advertising and other criteria.
Advertising is a special kind of communication activity that accompanies humankind throughout its entire history of the development. Historically, the long-term advertising concept meant everything connected with the spread of information society of goods and services, using all available resources at the time of communication.
Gradually, the development of advertising has led to the fact that from it seceded and became independently develop such communication areas as public relations, direct marketing, promotion of goods and services, point of sale advertising, exhibition activities, sponsorship, branding and others. The multiplicity of tasks of advertising generates considerable diversity of its varieties, channels and means of distribution options and create other elements, of which advertising is shaping up as a system.
The variety of forms of advertising communication, presented at today’s advertising market, creates a basis for the classification of advertising. Its depending on the classification of bases are different types of advertising. There are a significant number of criteria, which may be classified in types of advertising: according to industry characteristics, the nature of the target audience, distribution area (geographic coverage), advertising media types, methods of exposure and other parameters.
For practical use of the most suitable seems general classification of types of advertising, which was based on features of the respective type of advertising is the type of advertising medium or a transmission channel of advertising. Such an approach implies that all forms of advertising conventionally divided into two main groups according to media and banner advertising, which, in turn, are divided into separate functional subgroups.
Types Of Advertising: Media advertising
- Television advertising, or advertising on TV.
- Radio advertising, or advertising on the radio.
- Advertising in print media.
- Internet advertising, or advertising on the Internet.
- Outdoor advertising.
- Indoor advertising or interior advertising.
- Transit advertising, or advertising on transport.
Types Of Advertising: Banner advertising
- Direct advertising.
- Print advertising.
- Point of sale advertising.
- Souvenir advertising.
- Promotional activities.
In practical use of the classification by type of advertising often complements the classification by geographical, territorial, regional coverage of advertising. Under this approach, all types of advertising conditionally divided into the following main groups according to the area of advertising.
- Local advertising, which applies to the local area.
- Regional advertising, which applies to users in one or more regions.
- National advertising, which applies to most of the territory, or across the country.
- International advertising, which applies to the territory of more than one country.
- Global advertising, which applies to most of the world.
Advertising also to distinguish between the nature of the target audience of advertising consumers, i.e. the recipients of advertising messages – individuals or organizations, which are brought to the attention of, or advertising can be increased. In modern advertising practice, the most common classification of the target audience consists of two main groups: individual consumers and organizations. Under this approach, all types of advertising conventionally divided into two main groups.
- B2C advertising (Business to Consumer): Business to consumer advertising is the effect of which is directed to the individual or the so-called “end” consumers.
- B2B-ads (Business to Business): Business to business advertising is the effect of which is directed to the organization and scope of business.
In addition to the practice-oriented classification, there are the general classification of advertising, which can be called universal. One of the most common universal approaches to the general classification of the advertisement based on its division on the strategic directions, depending on the purpose and objective of advertising. This approach implies that all forms of advertising conventionally divided into two main groups: commercial and non-commercial advertising, which, in turn, are divided into separate functional subgroups.
1) Trading ads:
- Product ad.
- Advertising services.
2) Non-commodity advertising:
- Advertising company.
- Brand advertising.
- Person advertising.
- Advertising territory.
- Retail advertising.
- Advertising activity.
- Event advertising.
- Advertisement ideas.
A non-commercial advertising:
1) Political advertising.
2) Social advertising.
3) Confessional advertising.
On the basis of this universal classification in this section are presented the characteristics and features of each type of advertising.